Factors in Mold Remediation Costs
If you have a severe mold infestation this is something that you should not tackle yourself but instead but you will need to hire a professional that is trained specifically in mold remediation. Generally, you will find this infestation on the moist, damp parts of your home, especially during months that are rainy. These mold infestations can cause health problems and damage the house’s structure if not treated. You may find mold on your flooring, drywall, bathroom tiles, and more. If it is a minor mold infestation, you can use a mold killer and scrub brush. Make sure that you are wearing a facemask and rubber gloves. Yes, it can be an expensive job, but you will need to hire professionals to remove severe mold infestations in big areas. The simple fact is that one of the major points in determining mold remediation costs is the extent of the mold infestation. It can cost from $500 to $30,000 to get rid of the mold in your home.
Breakdown of mold remediation costs
• Inspection-in order to determine if it necessary for mold remediation it would help to get the structure inspected first. Hire a mold inspector who is certified to conduct a thorough exam of any potential areas for mold to be found. For the inspection, it can range from $200 to $600. If you have a large home, it can cost more than $900. There are some certified mold removal companies that will do the inspection free.
• Extent of infestation-if you have a large area that needs to be treated the cost can range from $500 to $4,000. If the infestation of mold has spread to other parts of the structure like in the walls, ducts, attics, etc the cost can range from $2,000 to $6,000. The cost can be as low as $10,000 or as high as $30,000 if there is structural damage.
Methods of remediation
The costs of remediation will depend on which method is used, which can include:
• Damp wiping-these methods involves scrubbing, wiping, or using a method of detergent and water.
• Wet vacuums-these are special vacuums designed for collecting water deposited on surfaces
• High-efficiency Particulate Air Vacuum (HEPA)-these machines have filters and powerful suctions that can help remove the mold from areas that are dry.
• Blasting-these methods are used to remove mold from cement or wooden surfaces and include dry ice, media, and soda blasting.
• Removal of material infested with mold-if the mold infestation cannot be cleaned it will be necessary to get rid of the mold-infested parts, seal and dispose of them properly.
The exact charges for mold remediation will depend on which company you chose.